If you are like most couples planning a wedding, you want your wedding reception entertainment that pleases you and your guests alike. But, you’re probably not sure about how to hire the best Rhode Island Wedding DJ, right? If this sounds like you, please read our list of hiring and interviewing suggestions from a professional Rhode Island Wedding DJ and stop stressing about having the best wedding reception ever! Remember, it’s your wedding, your music.
1. Music Preferences – To save time, decide what styles and genres of music you want before your disc jockey search begins. You may be as diverse, broad or specific as you want. It’s your wedding.
2. Length of Reception – Determine how many hours you will need the Wedding DJ and your budget for entertainment. I encourage you to give realistic numbers to your Wedding DJ, being honest about what you can spend. But don’t just grab the lowest bid.
3. DJ’s Repertoire – Does the Wedding DJ play the music you want? Is he/she willing to expand music selections for you? If resistant, this may not be the right Wedding DJ for you. Hire someone who guides you to selecting the best music for your wedding. It’s your wedding, your music.
4. Music Requests – Are requests from guests welcomed? Some Rhode Island Wedding DJs or Massachusetts Wedding DJs only play what’s decided in advance and what they think is best. If you want your guests to have input on what music is played, make sure you find a Rhode Island Wedding DJ who will honor requests and treat your guests as guests.
5. Inclusions - What is included in the proposed package? Agree on the hours needed plus set-up time. It is also recommended to establish in advance, the rate for overtime, if needed. Most Rhode Island Wedding DJs will charge about 1.5 X their hourly rate for overtime. It can be sticky if you do not agree on this in advance, which brings us to our next subject…contracts.
6. Get it in writing! Always ask for a contract and then take it home to really read it. Be sure each aspect of the contract is understood before signing. Look for information on what will happen if your Wedding DJ is sick, if there’s equipment failure or anything that might increase pricing like needing a second set of equipment for your Cocktail Hour or Ceremony if they are in a separate space from your Reception.
7. Sustenance – If your wedding vendors are going to be working for you for more than a few hours, and most will, please offer food and beverages. A Wedding DJ who has eaten is going to perform at peak level with the energy and enthusiasm you want. Most venues will offer you a reduced rate for feeding your wedding service providers and should provide a private area to serve wedding vendors their meals separately from your wedding guests. The Wedding DJ should have background music (or an assistant DJ) prepared to play while they are eating; you do not want silence during their break.
Like many couples planning a wedding, you’ll have questions for your Rhode Island Wedding DJ. What are the appropriate answers?
Q – Does Your Rhode Island Wedding DJ Offer a Guarantee?
Do they know they excel as a Wedding DJ and MC? Some DJs want you to have that same confidence so you can focus your attention and energy into other areas of your wedding. If a good Rhode Island Wedding DJ knows you and your guests will have fun, they can offer a guarantee since they are certain you will want to pay them for their excellent service. You are investing in a Wedding DJ by hiring us and sending us a deposit. We can invest in your wedding by offering a guarantee that states if you are not happy with our performance, you do not have to pay the remainder of the balance. Period. A good Rhode Island Wedding DJ will offer you a guarantee so you have peace of mind at your wedding. Make sure your Wedding DJ offers a guarantee.
Q – Do you need a Wedding DJ as your Wedding MC, or a DJ plus MC as a two-person team?
Many DJs also have experience as emcees and enjoy the opportunity to be more involved in your wedding. They can provide energy and excitement to your reception. Most disc jockeys are comfortable making announcements (Introductions, First Dance, Special Dances, Cake Cutting). This will work in most cases. Some couples want a separate emcee to be able to get out on the dance floor to make Introductions, lead dances and generally add flavor and energy to your wedding. If hiring a two-person team, I recommend this to be identified in the beginning to make sure the Wedding DJ Team can provide this service for you. A good Rhode Island Wedding MC can add to your reception and help everyone get more involved. Also,establish in advance the energy level (High,medium,low) and involvement (Fully engaged, main announcements only) of your Wedding MC.
Q – What if there is equipment failure with your Rhode Island Wedding DJ?
It is essential to know your Wedding DJ’s back-up plan for unexpected problems. Typically, an additional hard-drive will be at the ready for computer problems, an iPod for the quick fix or even an extra set of speakers. When speaking with the Wedding DJ, does he/she seem confident about handling unforeseen issues? Follow your gut. A good service provider sells less-stress, not more!
Q – What kind of experience Does Your Rhode Island Wedding DJ have?
Being a Club DJ and a Wedding DJ can be as different as a corporate attorney and criminal lawyer. Both are lawyers, but each specialize in very different areas of the law. Some DJs excel at both, but that is rare. Most have a specialty and that is what they feel most comfortable doing. Make certain your Wedding DJ has plenty of wedding experience. Significant wedding experience provides confidence and comfort if there are last minute changes or unexpected situations.
Q – Does the Rhode Island Wedding DJ have references?
Most former brides and grooms that have had good experiences with Wedding DJs are excited about sharing this with future couples. They know what a big day this is and want to support others going through the same experience. One or two is usually enough for you to get a feel for what they do and how they do it. A resume with former work references can be helpful.
Q – Does the Rhode Island Wedding DJ have Personality?
Your entertainer should have the sort of personality you and your guests will enjoy. Ask about how a crowd is handled and, if possible, view video samples or ask to see your Rhode Island Wedding DJ in action at a live event. However, visiting a Wedding DJ at a private reception is not advised. Will your friends and family feel comfortable interacting with your Wedding DJ? Will their presence add or subbtract from your big day?
Trust your instincts to make the right choice for Your Rhode Island Wedding DJ
Finally, see if you can sense if your Wedding DJ really wants to be part of your wedding or just looking for work. Interview your Rhode Island DJ or Massachusetts Wedding DJ in-person. Hiring a Wedding DJ via the Internet without “real-life” contact can leave you with unexpected surprises. Again, follow your gut. For your reception, the right Rhode Island Wedding DJ can make all the difference. It’s your wedding, your music.
Here are other posts that may be helpful to you Top 50 DJ Wedding Last Dance Songs, How To Hire The Best Wedding DJ, Popular Garter Toss Songs, Wedding DJ Father-Daughter Dance Songs, Wedding DJ Mother Son Dance Songs, Top 50 Wedding Cake Cutting Songs, Popular Bridal Party Introduction Songs for Wedding DJs and Popular Bouquet Toss Songs.
What tips do you have for future Brides and Grooms about hiring their Rhode Island Wedding DJ?
DJ Mystical Michael Rhode Island DJ & Boston DJ
Ask about my Rhode Island Wedding DJ & Rhode Island Party DJ Guarantee!